What are Obsessive Compulsive Disorders (OCD)?
These disorders are characterized obsessions (intrusive and unwanted recurrent thoughts, urges, or images) and/or compulsions (repetitive mental acts or behaviors that one is compelled to perform). Some other related disorders include body-focused repetitive behaviors such as hair pulling (Trichotillomania) or skin picking (Excoriation Disorder). Patients with Body Dysmorphic Disorder suffer from preoccupation with perceived flaws or defects of their body that are not visible to others. Patients with Hoarding Disorder have difficulty throwing out objects even when the accumulated clutter makes it difficult to live at home. If you have symptoms of any of these disorders, contact us to schedule an evaluation today.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
If you feel as though any of these conditions may describe what you are experiencing, please contact us to schedule an evaluation. OCD can be successfully treated with a combination of psychotherapy and medications. We utilize Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help change thinking patterns to decrease obsessional thoughts and consequently decrease compulsive behavior. We will also determine which specific medication is right for you and will work best in combination with your psychotherapy.
• Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
• Body Dysmorphic Disorder
• Hoarding Disorder
• Trichotillomania (Hair-Pulling Disorder)
• Excoriation (Skin-Picking) Disorder
• Substance/Medication-Induced Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorder
• Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorder Due to Another Medical Condition
Signs and Symptoms of OCD:
• Fear of dirt and contamination
• Ritualistic and repeated actions
• Avoiding activities which can trigger compulsions
• Unable to control unwanted thoughts
• Fear of losing or not having
• Need for perfection and symmetry
• Repetitive rechecking
• Increased focus in superstition
We're here to help when you're ready.
Want help getting started? Request Appointment
Here at Virtual Consult MD we welcome ALL individuals regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual identity or orientation, socio-economic status, and marital status. We assure you that your beliefs and lifestyle are respected. We welcome you with complete acceptance and compassion.