WHAT ARE SLEEP DISORDERS?
Patients suffering from sleep-wake disorders generally have difficulty with the quality, amount, and timing of their sleep. Often, the lack of sleep at night causes distress during the day and can impair performance at work, school, or just in daily life. Sleep disorders can also contribute to development of anxiety, depression, difficulty with memory, and the lack of sleep itself can promote further mental illness.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
After a careful clinical evaluation, we can diagnose which sleep disorder is affecting you. We use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy targeted at sleep difficulty using varied techniques including the use of sleep diaries, sleep schedule modification, and sleep hygiene improvement. We also use medication when necessary as an adjunctive treatment. Improving sleep is often the first step to an overall wellness plan, and if you are suffering from any of the above sleep disorders, please contact us for an evaluation and to begin treatment.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF SLEEPING DISORDERS
Although individual sleep disorders have different symptoms, they share the common features of daytime distress and impaired functioning.
• Poor sleep quality or quantity
• Distress or impairment in social, academic, occupational, or other areas of functioning due to poor sleep
• At least 3 nights/week and for at least 3 months
• Excessive sleepiness despite at least 7 hours of sleep
• Recurrent sleep episodes during the day
• Main sleep period of more than 9 hours that is unrefreshing
• Recurrent periods of irrepressible need to sleep, falling asleep, or napping at least 3 times per week over the past 3 months.
• Brief loss of muscle tone caused by laughter or joking.
Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorders:
• Sleep disturbance due to an alteration in circadian rhythm system
• Excessive sleepiness or insomnia
We're here to help when you're ready.
Want help getting started? Request Appointment
Here at Virtual Consult MD we welcome ALL individuals regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual identity or orientation, socio-economic status, and marital status. We assure you that your beliefs and lifestyle are respected. We welcome you with complete acceptance and compassion.